I am no stranger to flying – long or short, domestic or international – I’ve been flying my whole life. In fact, it’s one of my absolute favourite things to do. Depending on where you’re flying, this list would definitely change somewhat, so because of that I’ve included everything you should need/want for a long international flight. I typically wear a hairtie around my wrist, joggers, a t-shirt and a sweater, with trainers and socks for the flight, and bring on-board a backpack & my laptop bag. Remember that longer flights provide you with main meals, snacks, unlimited drinks, and in-flight movies and entertainment. Here’s everything I like to bring with me for the long flights.
TIP: Most airlines will have what movies and TV shows they’re playing on their in-flight entertainment. I always like to look at this on their website about 2 weeks before hand so I can download other movies and shows I may want to watch too!
In an easy accessible part of my carry-on bag, I like to keep my:
- Flight information (on my phone if possible)
- Boarding pass
- Immigration paperwork
- Wallet with cash, ID and credit card inside
- Paper and pen
Usually in a little makeup bag I will put in smaller/toiletry items:
- Prescription medications
- Tylenol, for pesky headache’s
- Wet wipes
As for liquid items that have to be under 100mL, they’ll be in a clear zip lock bag (this is a requirement by all airlines!) Having these two smaller bags in my bigger bag make for easy carrying to the bathroom:
- Eye drops
- Makeup Essentials
- Micellar water & cotton pads
- Hand sanitiser
- Face moisturiser
- Tooth brush, toothpaste & mouthwash (you can buy travel sets at the dollar store!)
Other random things you should definitely bring on long flights are:
- A book if you like reading
- Snacks & mints
- Spare change of clothes & underwear
- Travel neck pillow, eye mask and ear plugs
- Bring anything you wouldn’t want to go missing/broken on board with you – this includes, glasses/contacts, cameras, expensive jewelry, nice clothes, other electronics, hair styling tools, important documents, etc.
In my laptop bag I like to carry anything electronic, just to keep in separate from my bigger carry-on bag and easy access to quick entertainment & security checks:
- All chargers, including a USB portable charger
- Charging adaptors (especially if travelling to another country)
This seems like a lot but it’s always better to be over prepared while 30,000ft up in the air!!